Looking for way to sneak some more vegetables into your families dinner?
Well, try my Broccoli Rice! Quick and delicious and sure to be a family favorite for your dinner time meals. My oldest son does not care for broccoli, but loves it when I make this rice as a side dish for dinner. I have been able to get many different children to eat this rice even if they were “picky eaters”
This dish is great, because you can adapt it for a side dish, main dish, adding protein or more dairy. You could even make it Vegan by using a dairy free butter substitute.
Variations could include:
1. Adding Cheese
2. Adding chicken, ham, or tofu
3. Adding sour cream, cheese, and an egg for more of a casserole and baking 10 minute
4. Replacing garlic powder with 2 cloves of fresh garlic
5. Adding sauteed onions or mushrooms to the dish.
- 1 cup of broccoli florets (do not use stems)
- 1 cup of Jasmine long grain rice (substitute brown if desired)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder (or 2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped)
- 2 cups of water
- 4 Tbl of buttter (or vegan butter)
- Fresh Salt and Pepper to taste
- RICE COOKER DIRECTIONS
- If using rice cooker, combine rice and water placing broccoli florets on top of rice or place in steamer basket inside the rice . Set timer for 6 minutes and let cook, after timer has gone off, leave an additional 5 minutes and release stem if necessary.
- STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
- If stove top, follow directions for cooking rice on package. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a pan with tight fitting lid, reduce heat and add one cup of rice and stir. Reduce heat very low and set a timer for 12 minutes. Add broccoli florets and replace lid and allow it to slowly cook for another 8-10 minutes. Make sure there is enough water in the pan, so you don't burn the bottom of the rice.
- At about 20 minutes total, remove from heat and leave lid on and let the pot sit for an additional 5 minutes.
- After you have prepared the rice and steamed the brocolli, add the garlic powder, butter, and salt and pepper. Take a wooden spoon and pulverize the broccoli. Just smash it over and over until it is little tiny flecks of broccoli that stir into the rice.
- Add more butter, salt and pepper to taste if desired. You can also add additional toppings if you choose.
- You can cook this in your rice cooker or stove top.
- If using a rice cooker place broccoli florets on top to steam while rice is cooking.
- If using stove top, you have two choices. You can cook rice and steam broccoli separately and then combine or put broccoli on top of rice to cook about 10-12 minutes before rice is fully cooked.
- 1. Adding cheese
- 2. Adding chicken, ham, or tofu
- 3. Adding sour cream, cheese, and one egg and turning it into a casserole and baking 20 minutes
- 4. Replacing garlic power with 2 cloves fresh garlic finely minced.
- 5. Adding sauteed onions and mushrooms