Oh how I love cranberries, let me count the way….. This is a chutney recipe that I have adapted and made my own over the years. I think I originally saw it in a PETA magazine around Thanksgiving time in the early 90’s. I have never been a big fan of canned cranberry jelly was came out all wiggly and can shapped, to me it looked pretty scary wiggling around on the thanksgiving table, yikes!
In this recipe, I use evaporated cane juice, but you could also use honey or another sweetener of your choice.
- 1 orange, peeled, tough membrane removed
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
- 1 3/4 cup evaporated cane juice (or sweatner of your choice)
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (can also use currants)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until cranberries are bursting. Chill until serving time; freeze surplus in small containers. Makes about about 4 cups of chutney.
- This is great all by itself. As a side to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. It is also Delicious on crackers or fresh banquette with a little savory cheese like goat and would make a great appetizer.